Monday, June 15, 2009

Home Again

Soccer in New Hampshire:
Reading Hemingway with Kaitlin:

We are so glad to be home, although we had a great 10-day road trip.  The kids did remarkably well, and it emboldens me to travel more with them.  Henry spent lots of time writing and drawing on his clipboard in the car, and the advice I was given to have lots of snacks and some new toys for the trip was right on.  They adapted well to sleeping in new places, and both kids were happy to see all our hosts, not shy or retiring one bit.  Everyone was their new best friend, for the time we were there.  It was really gratifying to see them be so cheerful and flexible.  We had good visits with friends and family.  Besides the first fishing trip, other highlights included touring the Budweiser brewery in Nashua, NH, canoeing, and riding on the famous swan boats in Boston's Public Garden (since 188-something).  It was also nice to just spend lots of time together as a family, playing soccer or reading or whatever.  

But be it ever so humble... 
Henry never seemed eager to go home, but he did keep track of how long we were going to be at each place and how much longer the whole trip would be.  "So just two more days, right Mom?"  or "We're going home after THIS day!"  It was touching.  We got home about 9:30pm last night, and Henry stayed awake even though I tried to convince him to fall asleep in his carseat. He said he needed to stay awake to pilot the vehicle, like Daddy.  

Some funny Henry-isms from the trip: He really likes the idea of a spyglass, which he imagines is an essential pirate accessory.  But he calls it an "eye-pod".  "Mom, can you make me an eye-pod?"  Huh?  "You know, it is smaller on one end and bigger on the other end and you look through it."  Also: "Daddy, can I have a drink out of your urinal?"  By which he meant our little metal coffee thermos that we keep water in.  Both urinals and thermoses are new words and objects from the trip, both involve water, but you wouldn't want to mix up which one you drink out of...  

I mostly took little videos on the later part of our trip, so I'll post some in the coming days.  Going away always helps me reflect on my life and get perspective on it.  And I have to say, the perspective I gained was that I am very, very happy.  I am so blessed with my wonderful children, excellent jobs and job security for Michael and me, a great place to live with great friends, and my mom right around the corner.  I am so grateful for it all, and take nothing for granted.

3 comments:

Bernie said...

Henry seems to be learning by leaps and bounds lately. What a curious little guy who is interested in everything he sees. I love that he always has an opinion or an idea about everything he sees!

He loved watching the construction next door today and also requested lots of stories from a book my neighbor gave me t hat has all of the classic kid stories.

I am so fortunate to be near at least two of my grandchildren and next month I get to see Gus again! Life is good!

Glad y'all had a great vacation and I'm also glad you're home again!

Jenny said...

I'm glad that you had a good time and that life is good!

Crispinus said...

It was great to see you, as always. (I want to make a joke about drinking from Michael's urinal, but it eludes me at the moment.)

Some Henry-isms have entered our collective vocabulary, most notably, "Hey, you know what, guys?"

Be well.