Sunday, June 21, 2009

Guest Blogger: Dad

Fortunately I realized last night that Father's Day is best not about what special things can be done for dad, but appreciating the joy of being dad.  It's been wonderful spending more time at home and with the kids in the last few weeks since I finished up my semester's work, and especially these last few days since we got back from our trip north.  Henry gets up every morning full of energy and says "Daddy, do you want to play....," thinking up something for us to do together.  His current favorites are Construction Guy (building with Legos), Knights (with his new PlayMobil castle), Rassle Boy (kind of like wrestling, rolling around the floor), and "making soup," which is done in a plastic picnic basket and consists of crushed stone, stone dust, and water.  Agatha, ever cheerful (except sometimes in the late afternoon), loves to be with Henry and watch him, and now she can, and does, crawl over to whatever he is doing.  Henry and I call this the Agasaurus.  Watch out!  Here comes the Agasaurus!  The Agasaurus happily destroys Lego ships and eats puzzles.  Henry is a good and protective big brother, though he still sometimes happens to want just the toy that Aggie has just taken a liking to.  It's a joyful time.  As Amelia remarked, my first Father's Day as a father of two.  Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

Bernie said...

Wow! Both of these additions to the blog are so touching! I feel so fortunate to be able to be a small part of these wonderful activities! Happy Father's Day Michael and Happy Summer Amelia!

GRP said...

Michael, you are a great dad, and also a fortunate one. I love reading about your children and feel I know all of you better because of this great communication tool. It is great to remember the joys of everyday--it is a wonderful way to experience living. Love, Auntie Grace