Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cape Guy



Coming home from school: "Mom, we were playing Fire Rock today on the playground." "Fire Rock?  How do you play that?"  "It's a shooting game." [insert here my sermon against playing at violence.] "Who were you playing with?" [I asked because I am trying to figure out who is responsible for all this shooting business!]  "Just my friends, who I usually play with. [said in a fierce voice:] Fire Rock is a Cape Guy, Mama!"  "A Cape Guy?  You mean a guy who wears a cape?"  "Yes."  A few moments later, said in a sweet three-year-old voice: "Mom, what's a cape?"

So Michael showed him what a cape was.  Unfortunately, in that picture Henry is shooting Michael with a "shooter" (he doesn't yet know, or at least utter, the word "gun") made out of legos.  His fascination with superheroes and shooting is massive, deep, and ongoing.  I am helpless against it.  The only thing that I console myself with is that every time I say that we don't play at violence, that violence hurts people, and that there is no pretending to shoot at people, I am at least communicating our values to him, which will hopefully sink in as he matures.  

No comments: