Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Story of the Grappler

I was cleaning up my desktop and found this little story that I had meant to blog a few weeks ago.  It's from early September, when we were in West Virginia.  I warn you: it's rather a tear-jerker.




Henry fell in love with a pair of tongs at the cabin.  He named them The Grappler.  The Grappler was a crane, a multipurpose grabber of things, but the Grappler also was treated with loving care.  He was put down for a nap (on the hook of the screen door), and taken around and shown things.  The Grappler played Go Fish with us, and was extra-handy when Henry dropped a card.  The Grappler was taken in the car, and at the playground, Henry went back and got The Grappler out just to show him a good time.  The Grappler perched on the bar while Henry spun him around on the merry-go-round.  The Grappler was, however, at one point hurled into the grass, and then we couldn’t find him when it was time to leave the playground.  So the Grappler was Left Behind.

Later that evening, we sat down to play Go Fish.  “The Grappler really enjoyed this game,” Henry said ruefully.  I tried to get him to remember where he had put the Grappler at the playground.  Maybe we could go back and find him.  Did he hide him somewhere?  “No, he hided himself.  I was hiding, and then Grappler saw a mouse, and the mouse told him, ‘Here’s where you can hide that Henry can’t find you,’ and then he hid there and we couldn’t see him, and he didn’t know we left.  Now he knows we left, and he’s crying.”  

2 comments:

Crispinus said...

Oooh, the possibilities. Grappler fan fiction! Photos of the Grappler taken from around the world, like that garden gnome. The Grappler starts his own blog.

What a great story.

GRP said...

I just went and looked in my yard to see if that mouse might have told Grappler to come to debt-riddled California and hang out with the relatives. So far I have heard no crying, so he is probably happily playing somewhere,waiting to catch the next plane back to PA. Love, Auntie Grace