Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Early August

It's been hot. Last week it finally cooled down, so I started my summer canning. I made applesauce for the first time, because my kids like it and it's what people do around here-- special varieties are cultivated just for applesauce. It seemed like a lot of hot, bubbling work for something I can buy for $2 at the supermarket, but of course I discovered the homemade version tastes amazing. I canned 6 pints and 7 quarts of it. Then I did peaches: 12 quarts, each one a peach cobbler in vitro.
Next up will be tomatoes. Here is Agatha with the bag of cherry tomatoes she picked all by herself at our garden plot yesterday. She was so proud to hand me the bag: "Here go, Mommy!"

3 comments:

GRP said...

Good work, Amelia. This year I have not made as many varieties of things, but I have made 6 batches of strawberry jam (8-10 8 oz. jars each batch),3 batches of apricot jam (Jim's favorite), and one batch of San Rosa Plum jam for Ian and Jenny from their Carlsbad tree. 10 batches in all, but we feed three families of jam eaters, and it is delicious! Maybe I will do some tomatoes when we get back, not necessarily from our garden, but maybe I will find some to buy and can. We eat lots of them too. Things in Colorado are going well, we are enjoying all Zephyr's talking and phrases as well as the scenery,fishing, the cool weather, the deer, the river, good food--all good. Love, Auntie Grace

Meagan said...

Amelia, bravo! I am in awe. Can you give more details? Where did you get the apples, what variety, etc etc? And will the tomatoes be all from your plot, or boughten (a word from Farmer Boy that I can't resist) at the market?
And do you have some sort of canning apparatus for boiling jars...?
You know me, I love the idea and can't quite do anything about it. I need to spend August with you. xxoo

Bernie said...

I'm setting aside the things I should comment on about your wonderful canning endeavors! But the first thing I cannot resist saying is what an adorable picture of Agatha with her freshly picked tomatoes! She looks so very grown up and so much like her Mom!

I loved how when y'all came over, she verbalized the whole tomato picking procedure. She is growing up so quickly and I'm so glad can share in the process.