Thursday, June 23, 2011

Running around

Henry and his friend, Lia, at the Red Rose Run
Henry is that blue streak in the center; Michael is running alongside on the sidewalk

Agatha, "making soup"
On her own initiative, she went and got the soup cookbook, picked some clover from the yard, got out the pan and a spoon and "cooked" it, then served us some in a bowl.
Another Agatha initiative: this was her chosen outfit for camp last week.
We went up to the Berkshires for five days (no pictures; forgot the camera!) and then Michael went to Montreal for a conference. So there's been a lot of running around! In between, the kids are going to morning day-camp and I am trying to finish up an essay and a book review. By July 1, we'll all take a break for some unstructured time.
Agatha's imagination is flowering. Her imaginary friend, Coyote, has a response or reaction to everything lately. Henry's had a rough couple of days; I think the new school anxiety is finally hitting him. He's still attending his old school (for camp), but it is different-- a different set of teachers, kids, and activities. Yet he knows he'll be starting a new school in the fall. "I don't wanna go to camp! It's just too weird!" he wailed yesterday. He's grouchy and out of sorts. I've been working hard to use my "aikido parenting" inspired by my friend, an aikido master-- don't resist, blend; try to use your antagonist's energies to turn into a more beneficial direction. It is great advice and very effective, but sometimes I still get worn down! My antagonist uses a lot of force.

2 comments:

Meagan said...

more on aikido parenting, please. A short primer, perhaps?

GRP said...

I love the pictures and tell Agatha that clover soup is MY FAVORITE! How did she know that all that far away in PA. In an email tell me more about this new parenting style/practice/method. I am interested. Love, Auntie Grace