Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Clappers do DC

We took our students to Washington last Saturday to go to the museums, and for the first time we took the kids with us. I'd been looking forward to this for years-- I love our twice-a-year trips to the big museums, and I'd anticipated the day when the kids were old enough to skip an afternoon nap and come along. It was tiring, of course, and nerve-wracking to keep track of the two of them in crowded conditions, but it was fun. And it'll get more fun as they get older and more able to appreciate what they're seeing. Right?
Mostly it was a tour of the courtyards, water fountains, and bathrooms of Washington museums. Here we are re-hydrating at the National Gallery (we borrowed the cool stroller for the day).
Here's a picture of Henry riding his scooter in the courtyard of the American Art museum. Oops! got away again. Except for him getting too far ahead of us in the crowds, the scooter was great on the mall. While Michael saw the Rockwell show, the kids made pumpkin pictures at a table set up for crafting in the courtyard. Fortuitous! Because they didn't like Rockwell, for some reason. At the end of the day, we were waiting for the bus and Henry was scootering around the smooth piazza outside the National Gallery. I asked him if we could please pop in for just a moment to see the Rothkos in the tower (his all-black chapel pictures). He cooperated, and we saw them. But Henry wasn't too impressed. "Mom, these are just big black rectangles!"
Then Agatha drove us home. Just kidding!
Things are definitely improving in the stress and over-commitment department. Partly I'm crossing things off the list and getting into a routine, but I think the larger part is that I'm just getting acclimated to this pace again. It's like going for a run after a long layoff-- the pain! the agony! how did I ever do this?!? And then by the third or fourth time, you're puffing along, enjoying the sunshine. I'm doing all the same things I was three weeks ago, but I'm not flattened by it. Thank goodness! Tomorrow is an easy day-- all I have to do is bake snacks for 15 toddlers, teach a class on Renaissance painting, pick up Agatha, and meet the refrigerator repairman at home-- by noon! :)

2 comments:

GRP said...

Wheww!This all sort of sounds like fun and sort of not, but the adventure part is great for the children. Go Henry, go Agatha. Love, Auntie Grace

Meagan said...

I know that cool stroller! This looks like so much fun - or at least like the fun part totally outweighs the stress of managing kids part. I love when we can integrate family life into our work and/or adult priorities. Feels so good when everything can come together in a relatively happy way. And I'm glad you're getting into such good shape, able to enjoy the scenery as it flies by!