Work

I
t's Labor Day, and we're back to work. After a year on sabbatical, it is exciting and a little overwhelming. With little or no childcare so far, our normal juggle has been exacerbated by having to factor in teaching classes, preparing syllabi, and shuttling the kids to their various phase-in school meetings. Tomorrow, it will get easier as Henry starts in on his regular schedule (five mornings plus two afternoons per week). His first day of kindergarten! He excited, but also a little puzzled. Although he knows he's starting kindergarten and he's been talking about it since last year, he doesn't quite get what's *new* about this year. I noticed he told his friend Frances that his teacher was named Katie-- that's the one new teacher he has, out of four, this year. I think he would like the drama of a new classroom for his big kindergarten year. Yesterday I took him out and bought him a shiny new scooter for kindergarten. It will help us zoom him to school and back while we walk alongside and push Agatha in the stroller. He's seeming to take to it quite well!
A beautiful, golden, Labor Day weekend. We spent a lot of time with our neighbors, on porches talking and at a block party. Our friend Eric visited and he and Michael worked on some woodworking projects. It was cool and fresh and sunny. I launched in with the Ancient Near East this morning in class, Michael met his Eakins seminar, and I planned my seminar on Amish quilts, which will meet for the first time tomorrow. School is in session!
4 comments:
The picture of Henry & Carter seems to be the epitome of a golden late summer day! It was that kind of weekend. It is amazing how quickly Henry figured out how to use his new scooter.
A great weekend and an exciting, if busy fall semester for you.
Happy new beginnings, Clapper-Rausers!
p.s. Amish quilts? I can't wait to hear about it. I think they can be stunning.
p.p.s. I love that picture of H and Carter, too.
Have good year, guys!
I think that when my friend, Sue, and I were at the De Young Museum in San Francisco in March, 2010, we saw an exhibit of Amish Quilts. It was impressive, but overwhelming--the time, precision, etc., from a sort-of-good seamstress like me, boggles the mind.
Cool scooter, Henry. Lucky boy. Love, Auntie Grace
Post a Comment