determination
Henry's last day of school was yesterday, and we're all ready for a little break from our normal routine. Thanks to Aunt Kirsti's advice, we have been making further progress with Henry's behavior issues, and we hope that the break from school and a new routine will help too. The biggest insight from Kirsti has been that time-outs should be quiet--no yelling. This might seem obvious, but other experts say you should just ignore the yelling as bids for attention. That worked when he was younger, but right now the main problem is that he's letting himself get out of control on occasion, and yelling for a few minutes during a time out meant that he wasn't calming down and resetting. So yesterday, having agreed in advance that the penalty for naughty behavior and not listening to mama would be a two-minute, quiet time out, it took about 20 minutes until he was finally calm enough to actually do the two minutes quietly (and, probably, until he realized that we were serious about enforcing this quiet break for out-of-control behavior). But then he did... and it was really helpful. Today we had to do it again, but it was much shorter, and the rest of the day was great. So, thanks Kirsti!
After the triumphant finish (he high-fived our minor-league baseball mascot, Cylo, as he crossed the finish line, but I was so excited I forgot to take a picture).
By the way, Michael did great too! He had his best time for this race. Tomorrow, we are off to New York City for four days, with the kids. Michael and I will each do a little research work, and we'll enjoy the city (I hope). Wish us luck!
4 comments:
I love the photo of Aggie and "Determination" describes it so well. I must say she reminds me so much of her mom in this photo.
I am so proud of Henry and how well he did in the race today! I know all of the other kids were much older than him. So good for Henry for giving it his best shot and running so far.
Have a great time in New York!!
Good run, Henry, good race, Michael! Jim has been running 4-6 miles a day since the 1970's. He started when we lived in Florida, continued always, however, now he runs only 5 days a week, but the same distance as he did decades ago. He has also run 3 marathons and many, many half-marathons. Running is definitely good for Jim, it may also become a passion for Henry. Auntie Grace
Great job on all counts!
Henry should be so proud of taking control of himself and running the race! All it takes is that first step, and he made himself do it! I hope he gives himself a pat on the back. We're cheering in Wilton, CA!
Love,
Kirsti & Tim
P.S. We ate our first squash with basil this evening for dinner! Yum Yum...Michael, who is watering the garden while you're gone?
Kirsti, Mother Nature has been watering it regularly, lucky for us! How wonderful that your garden is producing. Seriously, thanks again for your wonderful email. I loved reading your insights and it was very helpful for us in thinking about what we're trying to accomplish.
much love.
Post a Comment