Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mom's Day Times Two

We've been a little wiped out lately. After a period where things seemed to be getting easier and easier, with the children playing together independently more and more, we've now entered a period where it is... not so easy. Agatha is ever more lively and loud, and that's certainly part of it. "Aggie do!" "I tell Daddy!" "Cake RIGHT NOW!" You get the picture. So Mother's Day was low-key. I gloried in an excellent yoga class and then we all went out for a sushi lunch ("Sushi RIGHT NOW!"), at which Michael and I ate hardly anything because the children snarfed down the lion's share of the tofu in oyster sauce and spicy salmon rolls. Although we left hungry, it was a delight to see. Then we had my mom over for a tea party after naptime.

And today is Gran's birthday! Henry said we should make her a cake, yell "surprise!" when she came in, sing Happy Birthday, and then he would blow out all the candles, because even though it is not his birthday he LIKES blowing out the candles. And that is just what we did. Happy Birthday, Mom!

5 comments:

Meagan said...

I have some major blog catching up to do! All things considered, what a lovely day. You're such a good mama, deserving of sushi and tea parties and also post-bedtime cocktails!
Toddlerhood is demanding, but awe-inspiring all the same.
Happy Birthday Bernie!

Bernie said...

It was a lovely tea on Sunday and a lovely birthday party today! I love reading your latest blog postings because even though I see the children nearly every day, there is so much I miss! Like Aggie's antics. The pictures are all wonderful!

GRP said...

Amelia, that cake looks really big. Are they an over-sized cake
pans? And what kind of cake is it? I try to do things that are not always chocolate--and that one looks so yummy. Thanks for the information. Grace

Amelia Rauser said...

Hi Grace! It must just be the camera angle; it's just a regular set of cake pans. BUT I will send you the recipe via email because it is a delicious, healthy cake. It uses yogurt and canola oil instead of butter, and you can make it either chocolate or vanilla, and it is quite bulletproof, coming out fluffy and moist every single time (unlike butter cakes, in my experience, at least). Also, you just whisk the ingredients in one bowl, so it's the easiest cake in the world. Coming soon!

GRP said...

For a person like me who likes her treats, and for a husband who always, almost always, does the dishes-healthy ingredients in one bowl--you are speaking to my heart!!! I can't wait to get it. Love, Grace