Monday, May 17, 2010

His scholarly side

Henry has two new workbooks-- one at Gran's house, and one at our house-- and he can do word unscrambles, word searches, and crossword puzzles all by himself, as long as there is a picture or a word list to help him figure out each word. This morning he got up at 6 am to go to the bathroom and then went back into his room. When we checked on him half an hour later, he was doing his workbook in bed.
I don't think Michael and I talk much about our work at home, but Henry has still gotten the idea from our academic circles that grown-ups study things, and that we study art. About six months ago, he said, "Guess what kind of art I'm going to study when I'm grown up? Pictures of trains!" Now he has branched out to studying all kinds of things. A couple of days ago, I was sitting outside reading Vanity Fair while Aggie napped and Henry played. After a while he asked me for five containers; I went over to see what he was up to. "When I grow up, I'm going to study this plant!" He had taken apart a bunch of the seed pods on the Bleeding Hearts and sorted the seeds into five different typologies by color. After we looked at them for awhile, we realized that they represented five different stages in the seeds' development. We made envelopes for each of the seed types, and Henry numbered them.

3 comments:

Bernie said...

What an impressive child he is! I've seen how quickly he catches on to concepts in the workbook at my house, concepts that one would think would be beyond his level.

I also love how he can focus and concentrate on a project until it is finished.

Kirsti and Tim said...

Sorting and classifying, comparing and contrasting objects are perfect skills for him right now; I can see the headlines:
Henry Clapper, Botanist discovers several new species...
Love you!
K & T

Meagan said...

He is amazing! It is so interesting how he quietly absorbs the adult world around him, how it is all indirectly communicated, then comes out with plans to study pictures of trains.
I love that boy.