Monday, August 24, 2009

Emotional Intelligence

(This is Henry and Michael doing Bridge Pose-- yoga. They are very competitive about it.)

Henry is so sensitive now to when we're disappointed with him. "Are we friends?" he'll ask after a mild scolding for putting his shoes on the couch or something like that. The other night Michael and I exchanged a brief eye-roll during the tooth-brushing part of our day, and Henry caught it immediately. "Are you happy? Because it looked like you were getting a little bit upset." It is so touching, humbling, and such a big change from his rather callous former persona. It really seems like the part of his brain where compassion, empathy, and conscience live has just sprouted a whole bunch of neurons.

Along the same lines, he likes to give (and receive, but that's always been true!) compliments. "I like your shoes, Mama!" he said today. He always compliments me on the nice dinner, even, touchingly, when it isn't really something he likes very much, like the vegetable gratin I've been making a lot lately with all our garden produce. Just now, when we were tucking him in, he said, "Hey, guess what? Tonight, on my plate, I saw a canned tomato, and guess what? I ate it! And I liked it! And now I want canned tomatoes every day. It's good that I try new things!" No self esteem troubles here.

Quote of the day: "When I say 'Pelcome,' that's how I say 'Thank you.' That's French. When will we go to Paris again? I want to see Paris. Parrots live in Paris."

No comments: