Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Toilet Love

So, Henry really is using the toilet.  He wore pull-ups last night and to school today, but the previous day he went and put on his Thomas the Tank Engine underpants (bought by me as a potty enticement last summer).  When he wanted to take them off to have a bath later in the day, he told me, "Mom, these underwear are too tight."  Bless his heart, he had put them on with his torso through the leg hole, and it was so tight around his waist I could hardly get them off.  He'd worn them that way for hours!  So if he can get through that and still be pro-potty, I think we're in the clear.  He even slept in real underwear on Sunday night.

I talked briefly with his teacher about it today, and she said she's been telling him that one day he'd just wake up and feel like he was ready, and he would always say to her, "Yeah, but I'll do that at home!"  Which I thought was funny.  And he did.  We actually ran out of diapers on Saturday so I told him to hold his poop till we could get to the store, or use the potty, and he decided to use the potty.  Interestingly, he hasn't asked me to make good on any of the myriad bribes I'd offered for using the potty these past many, many months.  I know he doesn't forget anything, so I'm wondering when the other shoe will drop and I'll be forced to pony up on a trip to the toy store. 

No comments: