Sunday, January 25, 2009
The Deer Hunter
We've gotten in the habit of watching movies with Henry before bed. Because he is still WAY into robots, MIchael got "The Iron Giant" on Netflix and they've been watching that the last few nights. Tonight I watched part of it with him, and at one moment the little boy and the giant robot are in the woods and they spot a deer quietly grazing. They commune with the deer and it's a sweet little moment. Henry said, "I think the deer's gonna be dead, Mama." Taken aback, I reassured him and stressed how happy they all were (not having seen the movie before, unlike him!). Sure enough, in the next moment, two hunters appear and shoot the deer dead. "Why did they do that, Mama; the deer was so happy!?" The point seemed to be to show the human-like empathy of the giant as he mourns the deer, but I was horrified that my little child had been watching this cartoon about shooting and killing. But, the horse being out of the barn, when he asked me why those guys shot the deer, I explained that they were hunters and that they sometimes kill animals to eat them (we aren't vegetarians, after all, so this is a fact we must confront). He thought about that a minute. Then he said, "I want to shoot and eat an aminal some time!" I explained that the meat we eat is animals, thinking this would give him some pause, but he just said, "I want to shoot a deer and eat it! I want to crack it open with a stick!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow! Difficult things parents need to deal with. And you handled this so well. I'm impressed. I must say some of my friends like Dick Price would have lots of positive comments about this!
BTW, I just bought Henry some underwear that is Iron Man - a robot like thing. I hope that is okay.
He will LOVE it! (the underwear, I mean) He wore his Thomas underwear to school for the first time today. I hope he remembers!
First, I really liked that movie. It might be a guy-thing, but it's one of my favorites.
Second, my friends here have recently gotten into hunting to get away from "corporate meat" (I think this means unsustainable and unethical practices, hormones, etc.) but also embracing their manliness. Roger said that Henry might have to wait a bit before he'll let him shoot, but on his next visit he will let him crack the deer open with a stick (Roger butchers the meat in his side yard).
Post a Comment