Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A big day

There's something so funny about this picture Mom took of Agatha birthday-shopping the other day-- is it the contrast of blue vs all the pink? The orderly racks that fill the whole frame stacked with cheap but oh-so-desirable pink junk? The way Agatha seems to be signaling: "Buy me this Barbie lipgloss or else: don't let the floppy hair bow fool you-- I mean business"? I'm not sure, but it's a terrific picture, Mom.

But I digress. What I meant to say was: Happy 5th Birthday Agatha! Today was also the first day of kindergarten, the first day of second grade, and the first day of classes at Franklin & Marshall. So everyone was a little stressed, excited, and apprehensive today. 


Henry was probably the least nervous of all of us. He was trying to act cool, but he was so happy to be back at school with interesting things to do all day long. He loves to be home with open stretches of time to get lost in what he's doing, but after a summer of that, he was itching to get back to school. Yesterday he came with us to Aggie's orientation and hugged seemingly every teacher in the place-- this from my non-huggy boy. He's joined the running club, too, which is the first after-school sport he's now eligible for as a second-grader-- that will start next week.
For Agatha, it was a little more scary and uncertain. She has to learn new rules and procedures; like Henry when he went to K, she doesn't like that she can't just get down work off the shelves and do what she likes when she likes. I know from Henry's experience that she has the most wonderful teachers and I'm sure she'll come to love it there, but it will take time to get used to doing such "big work." I see in these pictures still a very little girl, slightly baffled by gingerbread-boy nametags and handwashing procedures and morning meetings. 

But she was happily chattering away when we picked her up; the first two days are half-days, so we took her out to lunch to celebrate at (her choice) an Indian restaurant.

I'm so proud of both of my brave, bright, eager learners, and so grateful we have a good school to send them to, full of dedicated people who are so happy to see them each day. Teachers! They are the best!!!!

No comments: