Friday, June 29, 2012

Italian Adventure 2012


Well, this is your tax dollars at work: I won an NEH grant and used (some) of the money to spend 12 days in Naples and Rome this month. I traveled over and back with three other women, all classicists, and one of them my good friend Alexis. We stayed together in Naples for three days each at the beginning and the end of the trip, and for the five days in the middle I met my dear old friend (and college roommate), Cynthia, in Rome.


Naples was beautiful, gritty, and full of personality. It gets a bad rap as "dirty" and dangerous, but I never felt in jeopardy. Hundreds of massive churches, many of which are not even regularly open. Just too much patrimony to manage. They are nonchalant about it.


The antiquities of Herculaneum and Pompeii, as well as the Farnese marbles, are in the archaeological museum in Naples.



That's Vesuvius and me!


We took a day trip to Paestum, a Greek city later taken over by the Romans, which still has three standing temples, very archaic in style. Beautiful and amazing. I had never seen a real Greek temple before (just the one in Nashville!)


Traveling with Cynthia was just as easy and fun as it was 23 years ago when we toured Europe together. She is so game and interested in everything, so much fun and easy to get along with. We need to start planning our next trip together! It felt like a special gift to spend this time together and revisit some of the same sights we saw together at age 19.

Dumb art history professor pose.


On my way back to Naples I stopped at Caserta, home to a massive palace and garden.

My mom helped so much with the kids, but the biggest thanks go to Michael, who spent pretty much the whole time I was gone doing things with the children and taking care of things at work and home. He took them to wade in a local stream, built bark boats, took them to a revolutionary war re-enactment (the indians did not wear any pants!), and many other treats. I came home to a spotless house and happy children, and thus did not have to shoulder guilt or make up deferred maintenance as the price for my wonderful escape. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Michael!

2 comments:

GRP said...

It sounded wonderful, Amelia, and thank you, thank you Michael from Auntie Grace. Love, GRP

Kirsti and Tim said...

What a great adventure, Amelia! (And it sounds like Michael, Henry & Agatha had good adventures, too!) Worth every tax dollar penny.
It was so fun to read about your trip. When Tim and I were in Caserta, we got to walk the gardens of the palace, and had the great fourtune to attend a small concert in one of the ballrooms with a blind pianist and singer-named Andrea Bocelli!! Reading of your trip brought back so many happy memories- thanks for sharing!
Much love, K & T