This has been the summer of becoming real playmates, maybe even friends. Earlier this week, they spent all afternoon building forts in Henry's room filled with pillows, blankets and stuffed animals which they were planning to sleep in. Henry chickened out at the last moment, choosing his comfy bed instead, but Agatha, undaunted, slept on the floor in his room. And did it again the next night. They took a night off last night, but this morning Michael heard Henry say, "Aggie, do you want to sleep together again tonight?"
Henry also takes responsibility for Agatha more lately. This week she's developed the habit of protesting when I (but not Michael!) drops her off at morning day camp. So on the way to camp today, Henry was instructing her in the back seat: "Now, when we get there, you don't whine or cry or say you're tired. You get out and walk in, and I'll see you later on the playground, okay? If you're tired, you should rest longer in your room, so you have good energy for camp." To which Agatha responded: "I'm tired."
Henry: "We can do this the easy way, or the hard way. With the easy way, you get to walk in with me. With the hard way, you'll be crying and have to go in with the teacher. Which way do you want to do it?" Agatha: "The hard way." Henry, musingly: "I thought you were going to say the easy way." Mommy, thinking: Rookie mistake.
People have asked me if the kids will miss each other this year, not being at the same school anymore, at which I have always scoffed. But now I think they really might.
3 comments:
I loved, loved, loved reading this blog! The kids are growing up so quickly and I love how much they play together and interact with each other. I also love that Henry is being a big brother! What a precious thing.
Isn't it interesting to hear your own voice echoed in your children's conversations?!
Such sweet words. Love, Auntie Grace
People are always asking children to listen to them, but isn't it amazing what you can learn from listening to kids? What a great brother and sister conversation! Thanks so much for sharing- btw-did y'all get shook up yesterday (Tuesday???) Much love from Kirsti & Tim
Post a Comment