Two incidents in the last week have been cause for reflection. On Sunday, the phone rang and it was David, the guy who owns the hair salon and photo studio on the corner. He wanted to tell us that he was putting out a sign and closing his sidewalk because he was afraid of the potential for falling ice and snow from his roof. He wanted us to know because he often sees Henry running by his shop on the way to Gran's, and Henry knows he can't read! Then last week, about 3 in the afternoon on a sunny day, the doorbell rang and I could see it was a middle-school kid from the nearby school. I figured he were selling something for fund-raising, but instead he asked me, "Is your son playing outside?" He and his two friends rang the bell because they saw Henry and were concerned that he was maybe too young to be outside by himself and they were worried he might follow them home. One piped up, "He said that tree was his house!"
When incidents like these happen, my first instinct is to feel shame and embarrassment that these other people think I'm a bad mom (and when middle-school boys are concerned about your parenting, that's a bad sign!). But my second thought is to damp down those fears and instead feel gratitude for a community of people who care about my child. Maybe they think he should be inside, but what's most important is that they are watching out for him. I thanked those boys for their care and concern. It is pretty remarkable that they would ring a stranger's doorbell out of concern for another child. Bad things can always happen, and I don't feel 100% easy about my "free-range parenting." But I do feel proud of Henry's maturity, independence, and skills in navigating the world. And I feel good that so many people seem to watching out for him too.
3 comments:
Bravo Amelia. I think you have just the right attitude. Lancaster is a rare place and you may as well take advantage of its considerable strengths -- like the provision of caring middle school aged boys to watch out for H! I mourn the loss of blocks like yours. I remember the first time F walked to Lala's on her own short legs, wondering how old she'd have to be before she could make the walk on her own. (I think I determined 5, but there were streets to cross!)
Also, this may not be 'done' in the blogosphere, but to pick up on your last comment: please return to the LH books! You will love them all over, in different ways, attaching to different themes. I think H would really go for it too. Talk about independence and self-confidence. I laughed reading about your longing to be with your family 24/7 in one room too - that's what these past days have felt like, buried under snow! I felt the same as a kid. (Not to take away from your unique encounter!) I wanted to live that life. I never saw the television show either - seemed so crude and sappy! - anyway, I'd love to talk about your adult experience reading the books, whenever it happens.
I think that this is a great gift you are giving Henry. I am a fan of "free range" parenting, especially when you live in an area where it can occur easily and safely! Have you read "The Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv?
No, Jenny, I haven't-- but I've heard a little about it. I'll check it out!
Post a Comment