Friday, March 20, 2009

Almost heaven, West Virginia

We returned this afternoon from a one-night stand in Berkeley Springs, WV, our favorite woodsy getaway.  It's only 2.5 hours, an easy drive, and feels very far away.  We like to take the waters there (it's an old, old spa resort town) and this time we stayed in a cabin in the state park for the first time.  It was really nice.  Agatha is just the most adaptable, even-tempered baby in the world (says her mother).  She took her naps in the car and slept beautifully in her porta-crib-- only woke once for a feeding during the night.  But there is one thing she doesn't like: the bath!  I knew she didn't like baths at home, but we went in the roman bath there (they fill a deep, tiled tub with hot water and the whole family gets in) and I thought maybe she'd enjoy that more being with us.  But no!  She really doesn't seem to like the feeling of the water.  I sat and nursed her on the step with her feet dangling in, and she tolerated it, but that's all.  

Henry also enjoyed sleeping in a different bed.  But he was still kinda poorly and didn't do so well with the hiking.  There were lovely trails right behind the cabin but we got up a few yards and he pooped out. This photo shows Michael carrying both kids this morning!  I think Henry must be still weak from his cold and stomach flu, because normally he's so physically vigorous, and he's been tired and napping every day.  But also I should consider that maybe he's just not as into the woods as I imagined he would be.  He also showed little interest in roasting marshmallows.  Hmmm.  Is he becoming a city boy, happiest when inside playing legos?  Well, we are planning a longer trip there this summer, so that will be the true test.  Traveling with kids is stressful, but I'm glad we did it because it emboldens me to do it again.  I worry so much about keeping them to their routines, but it's good for me to see that they can be flexible and enjoy a vacation too.  Mostly.  

No comments: